Thursday, January 10, 2008

Go #134!!! Woo-hoo!

Why is it that NFL game officials have uniform numbers and no other professional sports league does?

Explanation: I've been wondering this for a long time, but this is the first I've remembered to mention it in this space. Why are they so special? Is it so Ed Hochuli's parents can differentiate him from the linebackers?

Little Known Fact #1: Referee #135 used to be my second line manager. OK, maybe they just share the same name.

Little Known Fact #2: Not only does Ed Hochuli have his own Wikipedia page, but it has a section entitled "Physical Exercise".

3 comments:

Sam said...

NHL referees and linesmen have numbers too (as you can see here). They used to have names on their jerseys but it gave the crowd too much ammo so they switched to numbers. The league felt that "You suck Koharski!" was a bit more personally offensive than "Screw you #57!"

Jeremy said...

The NHL still exists?

Willie Y said...

I think everybody should have a number on their back. It saves the embarrassment of not remembering someones name.
"Hey 237 how the heck are you"

I am also know for my physique at the gym, for not having one..