Monday, March 26, 2007

I'll Pass On the Feminist Art Next Time, Thanks

Just for the record, baby butterflies are called pupae.

Explanation: I went with my mom to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens on Friday. After visiting the gardens we walked through the Brooklyn Museum, which happens to have the Center for Feminist Art on the fourth floor. The Dinner Party is a work by Judy Chicago which depicts place settings for 39 famous women at a large triangular table. In a description of the plates, I saw "butterflies" and a second word ending in the latin pluralization "-ae" and, knowing full well what it meant, hoped against hope that it was the word for butterflies before they're butterflies. It wasn't.

Special Blog Bonus: Behold, the chalice, symbol of the sacred feminine:


Wait, that's not the sacred feminine - it's Rosie O'Donnell. We appear to be experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

NCAA Tournament Pool Update:

I PICKED ALL FOUR OF THE FINAL FOUR!!! (To go along with my seven of the Elite Eight!) I now stand in a 3-way tie for second place (out of 134 entries) with three games left!

More importantly, I am the only player in the pool with a >50% probability of finishing in the money! Go me!

Jeremy said...

P.S. It sounds like "Mulva."

Jeremy said...

And come on! Judy Chicago? If you combine your first name and the city you were born in, that's a "soap opera name" according to most of the internet.

Rog said...

What was the -ae word? Vulvae?

Moreover, I thought Chicago was her real last name, until I went to Wikipedia.

Jeremy said...

See, now that's freakin' funny. I thought her name sounded like something I've seen in those "what's your stripper name" emails, so I was going to comment on it as such. A quick surf told me that the consensus on the web is that a "soap opera name" uses one's hometown. I never actually looked to see if A) Chicago was her original last name and B) where she was born. Turns out my joke was more accurate than I thought.

To quote Homer Simpson, "I am so smart! S-M-R-T!"

And yes, the word was "vulvae."