Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Skynet, Brought to You by IBM

Give me a place to sit (and enough Mountain Dew and pretzels) and I shall code the world!

Source: This is based on the quote attributed to Archimedes, who, upon discovering the simple lever, proclaimed "Give me a place to stand and I will move the Earth!"

Explanation: I saw an article on IBM's Kittyhawk project, where their goal is to explore the creation of "a global-scale shared computer capable of hosting the entire Internet as an application". Interestingly, every online discussion I could find about it involved the world "Skynet".* Anyway, I figure we can take it a step further and just run the whole Earth on it. I just need a place to sit...

Special Blog Bonus: I feel obligated to inform everyone that Busted Tees is having a one-day sale today. I'm seriously considering getting a Vandelay Industries shirt.

*By the way, if you feel so inclined, a YouTube search for "Terminator 2 nuclear explosion" will give you an excellent (and disturbing) glimpse into Skynet's capabilities.

No comments: