Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Margin of Error

I weigh approximately 195 pounds, with a 29 pound margin of error.

Explanation: Sarah had an ultrasound yesterday evening to get an idea of the baby's size. They estimate that our little girl is currently 6 pounds, 13 ounces, or 6.8125 pounds. As a dad-to-be, this makes me quite happy as she is somewhere in the 75th to 90th percentile in size - healthy, but not huge. Their estimate, however comes with a 1 pound margin of error. Hence, her weight could be off by 15% in either direction.

As this margin of error seems perfectly reasonable for an unborn infant, I was thinking it could be even more useful for adults. For example, I have happily broadcasted my weight to the world this morning and yet really all I have given is a 58 pound range in which my actual weight resides.

Special Note: Last night I ate 7 Buffalo wings for dinner, plus or minus one wing.

No comments: