Thursday, July 3, 2008

Kick Some Alien Butt Toda... Tomorrow

From the archives:

In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, and should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: ‘We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! TODAY WE CELEBRATE OUR INDEPE...' Wait... that's tomorrow... Never mind.

Source: This is paraphrased from the big motivational speech* in Independence Day. You know, right before they easily uploaded the computer virus onto the alien spacecraft. Now, if you'll excuse me, as a self-respecting software engineer, I have to go bang my head against the wall for a few minutes.

Explanation: For those of us who are actually in the office today, I thought that we could use a nice motivational speech. Yeah, I said "us." I'm in the office and rerunning an old status message. Maybe tomorrow I'll come up with a new one to make up for it. Maybe...

*I believe this speech was much more effective than the more traditional "Rah rah ree, kick 'em in the knee! Rah rah raft, upload a virus to their spacecraft!" cheer.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

I would have really liked to see Randy Quaid do this cheer:

"Rick 'em! Rack 'em! Wreck 'em! Ruck 'em! Get that bomb and really FIGHT!"

...but that's just me.