Monday, July 2, 2007

Cross-Paining

Apparently, a couple of 40-yard sprints can cripple somebody who hasn't done them in a while.

Explanation: Yesterday, I had the bright idea of heading out to the municipal fields and running some sprints. This is part of my new training philosophy where I'm trying to mix it up a bit. Well, it worked. I don't think I've run that hard that often in about ten years. Note the following picture of Olympic sprinter Florence Griffith-Joyner:


You'll notice some serious mass in the region of her hip flexor. I believe I have the same mass today, only it's not muscle, it's swelling.

I guess I should consider it a good thing that I haven't had a need to run like that in the past decade. That would indicate that my quality of life has steered me totally clear of my fight-or-flight mechanism. Ten years without sprinting from a serious predator - now that's something to celebrate. So I will... as soon as I can walk again.

2 comments:

Jack said...

"Ten years without sprinting from a serious predator - now that's something to celebrate." so what were you running from eleven years ago?

Jeremy said...

Well, it's a long story involving some drunken engineering students, a three-liter bottle of liquid nitrogen, and a small ill-tempered creature known as a razor-toothed jackal rodent. I'll spare you the details.